Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday (19)

Photobucket

For those who don't know, Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly book meme where we get to let everyone know about what books we are eagerly anticipating the release of. WoW is hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine. Want to participate? Grab the logo on her page, post your own WoW entry on your blog, and leave your link on her blog!

*****
This week's Waiting on Wednesday pick is... Dark Companion.

Author: Marta Acosta
Publisher: Tor/MacMillan
Release Date: June 2012
Pages: N/A

Summary: When foster teen Jane Williams is invited to attend elite Birch Grove Academy for Girls and escape her violent urban neighborhood, she thinks the offer is too good to be true. She's even offered her own living quarters, the grounds keeper's cottage in the center of the birch grove.

Something's not quite right about the school -- or is it Jane? She thinks she sees things in the birch grove at night. She's also beginning to suspect that the elegant headmistress and her sons are hiding secrets. Lucky is the gorgeous, golden son who is especially attentive to Jane, and Jack is the sardonic puzzling brother.

The school with its talented teachers and bright students is a dream for a science and math geek like Jane. She also loves her new friends, including hilarious poetry-spouting rich girl, Mary Violet. But the longer Jane stays at Birch Grove, the more questions she has about the disappearance of another scholarship girl and a missing faculty member.

Jane discovers one secret about Birch Grove, which only leads to more mysteries. What is she willing to sacrifice in order to stay at this school...and be bound to Birch Grove forever?

Why I'm waiting: I know, I know-- there are like 50 billion YA books out there about academies and boarding schools, but still I am inexplicably attracted to reading more of them! I think that this story sounds really intriguing, and I am definitely looking forward to reading it!

Also, don't you just LOVE that cover? It looks so mysterious, and I like how you can only see the back of the girl, walking through the misty, creepy woods... the only thing I would change is the font style of the title-- it looks like something you would see on some happy, chick-lit romance book-- it doesn't really seem to fit the mood of the rest of the cover... But otherwise, I think this is absolutely a book to keep an eye out for!

Check out Marta Acosta and Dark Companion on Goodreads!!

What is everyone else waiting on this week?

Photobucket


35 comments:

  1. I don't think I've seen this anywhere! It looks really awesome though, I love the cover. I know what you mean about YA books and boarding schools, but they're always so intriguing! I love books set in boarding schools haha. I'll definitely have to add this to my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, I've seen this one! I don't what it's about but I remember running across the cover and thinking it was absolutely interesting! The font is so cute, and it contrasts the dark aura~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pick, I haven't heard of this one yet but it sounds good.

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree it sounds good, and I love the cover as well I think that's what drew me in first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huh, that does sound good. Since I wanted to go to boarding school when I was younger, there can never be enough of these books :)

    Love of Books

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I definitely agree with regards to your thoughts on the cover. I'm also a huge fan of books set at boarding schools and academies, so it gets my vote their, too. I've seen this one around a bit lately, so it looks like there are definitely some people looking forward to it. But that's a good thing -- it means there will be people to discuss it with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is a new one for me and I am so adding it to my list Great pick.

    Come visit my pick if you have a chance... Crazy Book Slut

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I agree, it sounds really intriguing! And I love that beautiful cover too. Thanks for sharing! :)

    Pam @ jellylovesbooks

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too am drawn inexplicably to books about boarding schools. Stumbled across this during last week's WoW and added it to my TBR list. It does sound really interesting.

    And I'm totally agreeing with you on the font choice...way too happy.

    http://refractedlightreviews.com/?p=2663

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've seen this book around and added it to my wishlist. This sounds really good! I love creepy looking covers, but for Dark Companion it also looks gorgeous! Great pick!

    Check out our WoW picks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great pick! I have added this book to my TBR pile.

    My WoW, http://obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a sucker for the boarding school setting too and this one sounds intriguing. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think we're all attracted to boarding school books. A bunch of kids with very little supervision outside of class. Everyone's dream at that age! Nice choice!

    My WoW

    My Awesome Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good choice! I enjoy stories that take place at a boarding school as well. Harbinger is another book you might be interested in, if you don't already know it.

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have something about boarding school as well. I'll have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't seen this one, great pick. Here's my WoW

    ReplyDelete
  17. You had me at "foster teen," since I spent many years working with kids in foster care. I like the cover, too; and the blurb offers some intriguing twists. Enjoy!

    Here's MY WOW POST and
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
  18. OH man. This one has a really nice cover. Marta Acosta is so funny on twitter. I bet you her book is really good too. Old follower saying hello. Come visit me over at Livre De Amour-Books of Love Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree, I think the font isn't quite right on the cover. Otherwise, sounds interesting! I think I'll always love to read boarding school tales, no matter how many of them are out there.

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have seen this on a few blogs. It sounds good, and that cover gives a creepy vibe!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The cover is absolutely fabulous I must agree! And even if there are 50 million Y.A. books out there about boarding school, this one has actually peeked my interest, I am definitely adding this to my TBR pile immediately! It just sounds too mysteriously addicting to not know what is going on at this school! Great choice for this weeks WoW.

    PS: You have a fantastic blog here! I love the layout and everything! New follower indefinitely :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes!!! This one totally looks fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can't wait for this to be released!! It was my pick for WoW a few weeks ago and with every time I see it again, I want it more and more and more. Sounds amazing and has a gorgeous cover. :)

    Great pick,
    Carina @ Fictional Distraction

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi, Lea, and thanks for selecting my upcoming YA Gothic as your Waiting on Wednesday book! I agree with you and several others here (hi!) about the title font, and that was the first thing I mentioned to my editor. It's since been switched out with something more somber.

    The book is actually set in a private school, not a boarding school, but my character, a foster kid, is given living quarters there, a small cottage in a grove. Since she's a city kid who's always been crowded in a foster home, her isolation among the trees is new and frightening.

    I think so many of us love these private school stories because the setting is a hothouse for interaction and intrigue. They have rules of behavior that the newcomer must learn and everyone has secrets.

    I've attended private schools and lived and studied in an isolated old mansion -- and they are really spooky at night!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Marta~

    Thanks so much for giving us some more insight into this book! That's so cool that you actually have first-hand experience attending a private school, too! I cannot wait to start reading it-- it is on my list to read and review next ;)

    ~L

    ReplyDelete
  26. You're right, this one does look interesting! And I'm glad to come across a book that's being released next summer! It seems like all of my WoWs are being released between now and Feb, and I'm just wondering what I'm going to be reading after that! Now adding it to my list!
    Courtney @ Fuzzy.Coffee.Books

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sounds like a captivating read, enjoy!

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/10/waiting-on-wednesday_12.html

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! Great pick! I don't think I've seen this around, I would of definitely remembered. The cover is GORGEOUS and it sounds really good. I've added it to my tbr list!

    ReplyDelete
  29. this book looks awesome!! I will be adding it to my TBR pile!!

    check out my waiting on Wednesday!
    http://sarahcatchingbooks.blogspot.com/2011/10/waiting-on-wednesday-14-when-you-open.html

    ReplyDelete
  30. Nice pick! I'm looking forward to this one also.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This looks like a great book but I gotta admit that I am sick of the boarding school thing!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I just saw this the other day and it sounds absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I've never heard of this book before. Definitely interested now!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I can't wait for this book either! It sounds so good and the cover is gorgeous. Great choice Lea!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy :)

Creative Commons License